Saturday, March 04, 2006

First Snowfall Experience

Dec 02, 2003

It snowed today. My first ever snowfall experience was really nice one. I came out of Chapin L – 1180 (My apt at SUNY, Stony Brook). It was a bright SUNY day, but I felt like the sun is there only as a show-piece, like his job was only to give light. Temperature was too low. Lowest I have ever experienced. I thought I will get the bus, but I saw the South Local going from 300m. Either, I wanted to walk all the way to department, or may be I didn’t feel like running after the bus, but I let the bus go.

I might have just passed the Chapin Bus-Stop, and I saw small white
drops falling slowly. I thought its fog, but it didn’t take me long to realize that it was actually snowing. By the time I crossed Nickol's Road, it started snowing heavily. This time, I happily let the North Local go and started walking through snow. I could hardly see anything out of 15 m radius. Temp was well below ZERO now, <-13 C as per weather.com> but heavy breeze was making it feel like -20. I and breeze were pushing each other as if it was struggle for survival. Wind was highly equipped with velocity and power, I hardly was. I was really angry at myself for not buying winter jacket last week-end, when I had the chance. My hands were dead even in the gloves. Fortunately, I was wearing two sweaters and a jacket, so I was still able to walk.

Everything was painted with white, trees, roads, buildings everything. I was fascinated by whiteness of this natural miracle. Nature has always surprised me beyond my imagination; snowfall was an add-on to it. It was really beautiful. I saw some of my friends dancing in snow next to CS department. Obviously, I joined them. We had fun for 15-20 minutes. After that, it was impossible to stand out.

I warmed myself inside CS building and then I continued walking and reached my department. I didn’t feel like going in, but I had to go. I entered my lab, turned my computer on. I had some work to do, but I didn’t, I couldn’t. I opened the window and peeped out. Now, I could hardly see anything. It was snowing too heavily. I came back to earth with Joane calling me for the test.


Nothing worth mentioning after that, except some really beautiful undergrad girls, who were looking at me hoping that I will help them out with the test, but again
I didn’t, I couldn’t ;)

I had to pay for all this adventure in terms of feverish feeling and usual symptoms of cough and cold. Hopefully, it wont trouble me more.

That is all for tonight. Until my next adventure, See u.

With lots of love and snow,

@shish.

No comments: