Monday, March 06, 2006

Pune to Kolhapur

July 26. 2005
Hushhhh, finally reached Kolhapur.....

I have been to Pune and back several times so far, but no other trip has been as exciting, tiring, and memorial as this one....

The rain in Maharashtra this year has broken most of the previous records. Everyone suggested that I should start early in the day rather than in the night and reaching at an odd time.
I woke up at usual time got ready and caught the 9:30 AM Asiad bus.

Despite many warnings by weather departments and news in all news papers, there was no major sign of flood on the way. I was surprised that I was near Kolhapur in less than average time, when I was expecting it to be much more than usual. All my concerned friends, who called me up, were also both pleased and surprised to know that I was so lucky despite of so much rain all over MH. But, my luck was not meant to last long. Just 3 km away from Kop entrance the bus stopped. All the passengers thought it was routine small scale jam and nobody bothered to check, but when bus didn't move for 15 min everyone got concerned.
Few enthu people went to check and came back with the horrible news that the bridge is under water and the traffic can only pass from Kop and not to Kop. Most were still holding their hope and were patient.

In the next 2 Hr 15 min the bus made 15 m progress. Now everyone started getting volatile and few people left the bus in search of another ride. I was very hungry and was more than glad to see a hotel just on the opposite side of the road. Traffic was not at all moving and the driver was sleeping on the back seat. So, I went out to eat something...The luck was still not with me...The hotel was open but was half filled with flood water..

I didn't want to wet my shoes yet again as they had taken 6 days to dry after Gagangiri trip. (a hilly place, where I had hell of a time with my long time closest friends in rain, waterfall and all you can guess) I came back, took my camera and climbed the bridge which was under construction.

Many people were now walking on the bridge towards the city. I took some snaps. Interestingly many people on and below the bridge were purposefully stopping and giving me poses, the moment they noticed I was taking photos. They might have been under impression that I was a journalist (My get up suggested that I mean backpack, cool T-Shirt, Jeans, cap u know like those journalists) and must now be hoping that they will appear in some a special paper/magazine tomorrow..:D I was roaming on the bridge for some 45 min.
When I returned, I was shocked to see that my bus was empty except for the conductor and driver It was already getting dark and I didn't want to spend the night on the bus. I collected my luggage and took off. Climbing the ladder with a suitcase (more like a briefcase) and laptop bag was really a circus. I somehow managed it.

I walked on the bridge. Till this point things were still ok, although I had to jump n all a couple of times. But the real challenge started when the bridge ended. River water was all over the road; it was knee deep and was flowing at great speed. It was too tough to walk especially with the bag n all. To add to all this it started raining heavily. I can not explain how and how fast I put my laptop bag inside my jacket while standing in that knee deep water and without putting the suitcase down :D. If I had company and this thing was captured in a camera, surely it would have been a nominee for most funny videos.

I walked n walked n walked...I mean literally walked too long…finally, I saw that Well-Come to Kop arch with that Lokmat Daily advt. This arch never looked as pleasant. For the first time, I passed this arch on foot. I was very very happy to enter Kop and thought that I will get an auto rickshaw. haah...there were 50000 people at the corner of the city to watch flood. Watch flood my foot, try walking in it and you will see how cool it is. There was no rickshaw nothing...there were many many vehicles parked and many bike riders going alone...:(( noone agreed to give me a ride..I dunno what was written on my face..no single person pitied on my haalat..
Some 20 feet ahead, there was a noticeable gap between the people walking towards the city. I went ahead to see that there was a huge snake in the middle of the road doing fusss fusss and the crowd was teasing it. I moved on and crossed Tawde hotel and Octroy Booth still no ride...finally I saw a City Bus, but it was so full that I couldn't even get in. I started walking again and walked for long long time. It was very dark with no street lights on. With the heavy rain and wet glasses, I could hardly spot an auto.

Finally ahhaa..one auto stopped....I rushed to it only to see that it was already full. The driver insisted that I should adjust and get in..I had no other choice. I literally stood on the right side of the auto near the driver. It was horrible. Thankfully the other guy sitting on left got out and I got some place to sit. It was still too tough to sit while balancing myself and the laptop bag on my lap. At least twice I was about to fall down when the auto took sharp turn. Now, I was in the centre of the city and it was getting very difficult sitting like this. I said that's enough, got out of the auto paid him n caught another one. This stupid auto got screwed and didn't move.
I thought how so many irritating things can happen to me in such a short time. But nice part of all was..despite of all the tiredness, pain, and aching bones I was enjoying every moment of it. neways back to the story....I was standing near the auto, all irritated, and I spotted Mr. Sunil in his Maruti He offered me ride and finally after taking close to 11 hrs for a 5 hr journey, I reached home sweet home. Mom was waiting for me with hot n steaming food ready in great quantities. Moms somehow always know what the kid needs, well may not be always, but most of the times. So, I ate like anything and now typing this boring story for you ;)

With warm wishes, like the tea and pakodas I ate after being soaked,

@shish

1 comment:

Sarang said...

Hi please let me know, what time it takes to reach Kolhapur from Pune on the two wheeler.

Please send me this information on my email address:
sarangnkar@gmail.com